Showtime’s ‘Borgias’ To End Run After Three Seasons; Creator Neil Jordan On How He Planned To Wrap S

« Older   Newer »

1. marie.

User deleted

borgias1__130605195845

CITAZIONE
    EXCLUSIVE: The saga of The Borgias is coming to an end. The current third season of the Showtime medieval drama will be its last, with the June 16 season finale serving as series finale. Created by Neil Jordan, The Borgias stars Jeremy Irons as Pope Alexander VI, the cunning, manipulative patriarch of the infamous Borgia dynasty, who builds an empire by bribing, buying and muscling his way into the papacy.

The series was originally envisioned as going for four seasons, matching the run of predecessor The Tudors. But while filming a pivotal scene in the Season 3 finale, Jordan said Irons turned to him and told him that “this feels like the end of something, that the family has come to an end.” While mulling a potential fourth season, Jordan said he wasn’t sure he had enough material for 10 episodes and wasn’t sure whether Showtime would want to commit to another season either. ”As a compromise, I proposed to finish the arc of all the characters with a two-hour movie,” Jordan said, adding that Showtime commissioned the script and he wrote it. “When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” he said. “Sadly, that’s what happened. I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.” Jordan said he still likes where the story currently ends with the third season finale, especially for siblings Cesare and Lucrezia, and thanked Showtime for supporting his vision.

Doing a standalone movie to wrap the big-budget Borgias would’ve been hard to pull off not only from a production but also from a marketing and promotion standpoint. “Ultimately the show was designed as a regular series, and I was reluctant to do an extra two-hour disconnected from the whole that could be potentially anti-climactic,” Showtime Entertainment president David Nevins said. “Now we have a nice upward build towards the finale. We have a nice ending, a good climax, and I didn’t want to muck it up with an afterthought.” The Borgias is ending its run on a high note. Season-to-date, the series averages 2.4 million weekly viewers across platforms, on par with its sophomore season through the same time frame, while its most recent eighth episode delivered the series highest-rated episode and night this season. Nevins praised Jordan as “an amazing filmmaker and a storyteller and filmmaker.” “This is what premium television can do — take stories that can’t be contained in two-hour movie and blow them up to make an amazing series. The Borgias is Auteur Television at its best.”

As for how Jordan envisioned The Borgias to end, “I wanted a totally biblical ending, for the Pope to burn in hell,” he said. That is how he wrote the proposed two-hour finale, with the Pope dying and noone willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, “I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.” “This satisfies all moral feelings about the Pope,” Jordan said. He is now returning to movies, keeping up hope he could still make the proposed Borgias two-hour finale, maybe as a feature.

Filmed entirely on location in Budapest, The Borgias‘ final episode finds Alexander (Irons) and Cesare (François Arnaud) reconciled at last, and now ready to take their first step towards their ultimate goal: to create a hereditary kingdom across the heart of Italy. Co-starring in the series, a Canadian-Irish-Hungarian Treaty co-production, are Holliday Grainger, Joanne Whalley, Lotte Verbeek, Sean Harris, Thure Lindhart, Gina McKee, Peter Sullivan, Julian Bleach and Colm Feore. Jordan serves as executive producer, writer and director of select episodes. The third season is also executive produced by Jack Rapke, Darryl Frank, John Weber, Sheila Hockin and James Flynn. The Borgias so far has earned Irons a Golden Globe nomination and a total of 10 Emmy nominations to-date, earning two awards in its second season for Outstanding Costumes and Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music.

deadline

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Sono un po' scioccata ! Cioè non è che ci perdiamo tanto, però insomma lo fanno finire alla gloria dei Borgia, quando dovrebbe iniziare il bello...

3. marie.

User deleted

Io sono molto apatica, ho sostanzialmente smesso di vederlo quindi non mi cambia molto XD e poi era nell'aria, sin dalla prima pseudonews sul possibile film s'è capito che non era il caso. Mi aveva anche convinto un articolo che diceva che con The Vaticans diventava improbabile che Sho si caricasse due show sui papi. Mi dispiace per il cast semmai, spero abbiano altro in cantiere

SeJHGmT

Ignite, my love. Ignite.

Group
    pinturicchio

Status
    Anonymous
    Non mi dispiace tanto per la serie, visto che ormai guardavo solo le scene C/L, ma speravo che si redimessero con un finale decente. Invece probabilmente ci propineranno un ending alla cavolo.

5. marie.

User deleted

Eh ma Jeremy-no-one-cares-about-my-storylines-Irons aveva detto che it felt like the end of something!

Comunque ciò conferma la teoria per cui il mondo cospira per non farmi studiare

Ignite, my love. Ignite.

Group
    pinturicchio

Status
    Anonymous
    Se lo dice lui...Tanto ormai abbiamo perso ogni speranza da tempo.

7. marie.

User deleted

Comunque almeno per CL non ci dovrebbero essere problemi, Lucrezia vows di essere his for good XD

8. brito

User deleted

Non sono affatto sorpresa ma mi dispiace molto!

Sono curiosa a sto punto di vedere come finisce C/L visto che Jordan è soddisfatto.

Certo che se voleva chiudere in bellezza fra loro due, poteva far uccidere Alfonso un po' prima, o magari non da Cesare, perchè se si promettono amore eterno or roba simile dopo il massacro di Alfonso, scusate C/L shippers, ma mi sembra un po' una cavolata, a livello di scrittura intendo.

9. honeymink

User deleted

L'unico motivo che mi rende un po 'triste: Non più Joanne Whalley come Vanozza. (Personalmente sono contento di non dover soffrire pessima recitazione di un certo altro membro del cast in più però.)

10. marie.

User deleted

So a chi ti riferisci ;D siamo tutte un po' tristi per il cast qui, in effetti!

11. brito

User deleted

Chi è che recita male nel cast?

Mi sono resa conto comunque di quanti personaggi siano stati abbandonati in questa stagione, Giulia Farnese, Della Rovere, Machiavelli, persino Vanozza fa una particina... ecco, di questo mi dispiace :'(

12. marie.

User deleted

A me fa un po' rabbia pensare al tempo sprecato, a questo punto potevano almeno fare la conquista della Romagna e dare un senso al titolo del season finale -___- e sì, Giulia e Vannozza terribilmente underused, Alessandro è un pianto... Alfonso è venuto su più dignitoso del previsto ma non abbastanza. Della Rovere MIA, completamente! XD m'ero scordata che esistesse. Peccato.

13. brito

User deleted

Dunque se Cesare finisce che fa il voto alla madonna e poi end in un universo parallelo dovremmo pensare che non commetta più le terribili cose che commetterà?

14. marie.

User deleted

Tanto noi s'era già convinte che la questione di Magione finiva a sagra della porchetta XD il magnifico inganno se lo sono bruciato nella S2...

15. brito

User deleted

Ma chi è dunque che recita male nel cast? A me son piaciuti tutti, anche l'accento danese di Matias Varela :D

Edit: Qui c'è scritto:

CITAZIONE
    (Neil Jordan): For a variety of reasons we won’t be doing a fourth season, but, ‘The Prince’ , when I wrote it and shot it, did seem like the end of a journey for the family. Whatever bonded them as a family dies in this episode, and the center of the drama for me was always the family.

Ok dunque qui sembra che la famiglia si rompa? Ma il papa ha dato l'ergo te absolvo a Cesare nel 9!?... ok ora sono confusa :wacko:

Chi vivrà vedrà amen :lol:

Edited by brito - 6/6/2013, 00:02

51 replies since 5/6/2013, 21:19   1088 views