Isabella d'Este

« Older   Newer »

1. ‚dafne

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE
    I certainly do not believe that I have done anything on this Milanese journey for which I deserve to become “the common talk of the town”. I know that I have acquired many new friends on your behalf, as well as on my own, and that I have behaved as I ought to do, and as I am always accustomed to behave, for, thanks to the grace of my God and myself, I never needed either to be controlled by others, or to be reminded how to govern my actions. And, although in other things I count for nothing, God has granted me this grace, for which Your Excellency owes me as much gratitude as ever any husband owed his wife, and even if you loved and honoured me as much as possible you could never repay my faithfulness. This makes you sometimes to say that I am proud, because, knowing how much I deserve of you and how little I receive, I am tempted at times to alter my nature and to appear different from what I am. But even if you should always treat me badly, I would never cease to do what is right, and the less love you show me, the more I shall always love you, because, in truth, this love is part of myself, and I became your wife so young that I can never remember having been without it.

Isabella d’Este, responding to an angry letter from her husband in which he rebuked her for her ladies’ poor conduct during a visit in Milan. source!

Questo a giudicare dalla didascalia è un suo ritratto, ma non mi risulta incluso tra quelli accertati:

h6iBYXt

Edited by ‚dafne - 7/3/2013, 19:43

53 replies since 3/11/2012, 18:48   1971 views