Da Vinci's Demons S1 NEWS & SPOILERS

« Older   Newer »

1. marie.

User deleted

Goyer:
    CITAZIONE
    The show integrates many real-life stories about da Vinci that the average viewer might not know: His vegetarianism, the fact that he was born out of wedlock, a strange encounter with a bird as an infant that was psychoanalyzed by Freud. What surprised you most during the research process for Da Vinci's Demons, and what made you decide you had enough material for an open-ended TV series?

I knew that da Vinci had invented a lot of things — including a lot of weapons — but I thought it was interesting that a man who was a self-professed humanist, and who valued animal life so much, spent most of his life as a war engineer. I'd had no idea that he and Michealangelo hated each other. The two greatest artists, probably of all time, physically came to blows on more than one occasion. I just loved that. We think of him as this kind of abstract and aloof old man. We think of him as the self-portrait that he purportedly did, although some scholars claim that might not even be him. We don't think of him as this sort of vibrant person, but he seems to have had a bit of a big mouth. He seems to have been kind of arrogant. Michelangelo criticized him for being a flashy dresser all the time. He was sort of this bundle of contradictions. He probably wasn't always pleasant to be around, but I think that makes for an interesting character to build a show around. There was a lot of controversy surrounding da Vinci throughout his life.

Da Vinci's sexuality has been the subject of much modern scholarship and speculation — particularly since we have a historical record indicating that he was brought up on charges of sodomy in 1476. Is that something you plan to address in the series?

Yep. Without giving too much away, it comes into play later on. I argued, successfully, that we would be doing the show a disservice if we didn't go there in the first season.

Da Vinci's Demons also depicts the papacy as both sinister and corrupt. Are you worried that there might be backlash over such a negative depiction of a major religious institution?

We'll see what happens. I'm not criticizing religion, but there's no question: The papacy of the 15th century was not like the papacy of today. [Pope Sixtus IV, played in the series by James Faulkner] was a very controversial figure. He started the secret archives, he employed Swiss mercenaries, which became the Swiss guard; he started papal intelligences. It was what it was. There was a pope, relatively shortly before Sixtus, that was a pirate. He was actually actively attacking other ships — raping and pillaging, and things like that.

This is the first time you've done a series on premium cable, and Da Vinci's Demons isn't shy about depicting explicit sex and violence. How has that freedom changed your approach as a storyteller?

It's been great. Never say never, but it's hard for me to imagine going to back to network television. One of the things that [Starz CEO] Chris Albrecht said to me when we started preparing Da Vinci's Demons was, "If you do this show with us, we back our creators. And even if we have disagreements, more often than not, we bet on creators." And he's been true to his word. There have been some spirited disagreements at times, but when push came to shove, he said, "Do you really believe in this?" and I said, "Yes," and he's backed me. That wasn't always the case on FlashForward. I think there's a reason why cable and basic cable shows are winning most of the Emmys. I think it's because those creators are afforded more latitude.

From Batman to Superman to Leonardo da Vinci, you've had the chance to write about so many iconic figures in your career. Whether fictional or historical, are there any other icons you'd like to tackle?

[Long pause] There is one I'm tinkering with, but I'm actually talking to some people about this person. There is a specific other person out there, yes. I can't say any more.

Da Vinci's Demons creator David S. Goyer on premium cable, papal corruption, and da Vinci's alleged homosexuality

Pulver:
    CITAZIONE
    Come può definire il personaggio di Clarice Orsini?
    «Risoluto ed enigmatico. Quando lo spettatore si imbatte nel mio personaggio, vuole saperne di più, è attratto da lei. E' una businesswoman ante litteram. Una donna di poche parole, ben conscia del proprio ruolo di moglie di Lorenzo De' Medici. Devota alla causa politica del marito, consapevole della preferenza accordata da quest'ultimo a Lucrezia Donati, mantiene comunque il suo posto a Firenze, come consorte e come madre».
    Il background di Clarice Orsini è diverso da quello dei protagonisti fiorentini.
    «Lei proviene da Roma, da un ambiente molto cattolico e spesso in conflitto con il lato umanista di una città come Firenze. La mamma di Lorenzo ha deciso di combinare il matrimonio di suo figlio con Clarice per ottenere vantaggi politici. Clarice rappresenta il conflitto tra Roma e Firenze. Ma anche un motivo di confronto con il giovane Leonardo, lo si scoprirà puntata dopo puntata. Il mio è l'unico personaggio femminile in cui la tensione sensuale è affievolita a vantaggio di quella mentale».
    Una delle perplessità che hanno agitato i critici durante la proiezione della prima puntata della serie è la mancanza di un'adeguata verosimiglianza storica.
    «Da Vinci's Demons non è una docufiction. E' una storia fantasy basata su fatti storici reali. Un perfetto mix pensato per suggestionare il pubblico fornendo chiavi di lettura moderne».
    Come si è trovata a lavorare con David S.Goyer?
    «Trovo stimolante il fatto che lui sia regista e nel contempo sceneggiatore della serie. Ha avuto la massima libertà creativa, il Leonardo che vedrete in tv è esattamente quello che aveva in mente lui. In passato, mi è capitato di lavorare ad altre serie e talvolta si sono verificati contrasti tra regista e sceneggiatore. In questo caso, sul set ci siamo trovati così bene che la storia avrà colpi di scena sviluppabili in altre stagioni. Se il responso di pubblico sarà adeguato, potremmo andare avanti per altre sei o sette stagioni, davvero».
    L'aspetto più curioso del lavorare a Da Vinci's Demons?
    «Ho trovato meraviglioso il modo in cui sono stati realizzati i costumi. Muoversi con vestiti rinascimentali, intrappolata tra lacci e corsetti, è stata un'esperienza all'inizio quasi traumatica. Ma bellissima».
    Da attrice inglese trasferitasi a Los Angeles, come si trova a collaborare con produzioni americane?
    «Per capire che cos'è l'America, basta tener presente il motto di Obama: "Yes, we can". Quella è la tipica mentalità USA. E' la terra delle mille opportunità. Lì, se hai un'idea davvero vincente, la puoi sviluppare senza gli ostacoli che a volte potresti trovare in Europa».
    Ci sono altri progetti tv all'orizzonte, per lei?
    «Una serie basata sulla vita di Ian Fleming, il creatore di James Bond. Interpreterò la moglie dello scrittore. L'unica, vera Bond-girl, direi (ride, nda)».
    Le robuste produzioni nella lunga serialità stanno dando lustro al mezzo televisivo come espressione di prodotti dalla lucida forza cinematografica.
    «Siamo di fronte a una sorta di età dell'oro della tv. Tante star del cinema accettano volentieri di prendere parte a produzioni televisive, per via del grande dispendio di mezzi e della brillante qualità di idee messe in campo».

tvzoom

Edited by marie. - 12/4/2013, 10:48

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Devo condividerla XD

tumblr_mmb5jyqoO31spdfglo1_500

46 replies since 28/7/2012, 13:46   6085 views