The White Queen

DAVID

« Older   Newer »

Advanced Member

Group
    umanisti

Status
    Anonymous
    Come dicevo altrove, ho rivisto qualcosa di TWQ in bluray ed ho trovato i costumi molto più belli dopo averli visti in HD (si notavano meglio i dettagli, le sete. C'è anche un piccolo speciale col costumista che mi è sembrato molto dedito al progetto e preciso in quel che faceva, quindi mi sono cercata un articoletto.

CITAZIONE
    Hell hath no fury like an armchair historian who's spotted mascara in the court of Edward IV or incorrect kirtle-usage. Yet producers who insist on slavish accuracy risk repelling viewers and sabotaging their chances of selling the rights to anywhere other than a fetish US cable channel. British Teeth are bad enough. Medieval British Teeth are traumatic.
    I'm conflicted about those zips - mainly because I'd been so busy admiring the slenderising silhouettes (hand of Sarah Burton at McQueen?) and minimalist aesthetic (Jil Sander?) that I hadn't noticed them.

"That's because there aren't any," a slightly wary-sounding Nic Ede, the veteran costume designer (Bright Young Things, Wilde, Far fthe Madding Crowd, Nanny McPhee) behind those graceful Guinevere frocks, tells me. "Of course we wouldn't use zips. There are hooks and eyes, which are historically correct. But there's a lot of sex in the first episode and if the cameras had honed in on the hooks and eyes it would have taken poor Edward 10 minutes to get Elizabeth Woodville's clothes off."
    Did you notice how I conflated 10 centuries when I referred to Guinevere? She's fifth century. The Woodvilles are 15th. That was my homage to the art of successful period costuming. The best designers have always blended various eras to arrive at a distilled essence - preferably a single memorable one which, they hope, is somehow truthful.
    For the record, the ermine-trimmed gown Elizabeth wears once she's crowned queen is fairly authentic, with 10 metres of brocade which, Ede estimates, weighed several kilos. After the first day's shoot Rebecca Ferguson, the actress playing Elizabeth, had to go to the osteopath, so he made her a lighter replica. As for the delectable pale pink woollen dress Elizabeth wears, Ede promises he wasn't influenced by the catwalk, even though that pink is the shade for autumn. "I'm not really a follower of fashion," he says. "I'm much more interested in fashion history."
    If the linens, silks, laces and ringlets in The White Queen are true to period ("I'm certain they had some form of hot curling tongs," maintains Ede), purists should prepare themselves for disturbing scenes when bras are worn, to "preserve the elongating line". However, wimples and henins - a steepled form of headwear that would probably prove fatally distracting to modern viewers - are conspicuous by their absence. "Directors hate any kind of head pieces because they obscure the face and block light," says Ede.

Plucked foreheads, which were also big in 1465, are another stylistic no-no. And yes, Ede took liberties with the men, dressing them in long boots, padded trousers and longer tunics than were usually worn. The shorter tunics, big breeches and curl-toed slippers of the time wouldn't have provided the same Mr Darcy moment.
    The lack of contemporary domestic detail from 1465 allows for both freedom and vociferous disagreement. No clothes survive and portraits, lacking in technical perspective, don't provide a complete story. What we do know is that no one would have looked quite as Timotei-clean as The White Queen cast. "The hems on those trains were filthy by the end of each day's filming," sighs Ede. "But TV has a habit of sanitising everything."
    Despite the carping, he and his team of six have come up with some highly enjoyable eye candy - and dressed a cast of 1,000 for £200,000 - a brilliant job. His next project, The Thirteenth Tale , is set from the Forties to early Sixties, with a tiny cast and "no crowd scenes". Even on a rainy day in Leeds, where he's speaking to me from his bed with a head-cold, the relief in his voice is palpable.

x

2. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

Io purtroppo ho il dvd in italiano, qui i blu ray non li hanno fatti, e c'è lo stesso speciale sui costumi! Comunque li ho visti anche in hd su sky atlantic e sono davvero belli! i tagli sono molto lineari, ma le stoffe sono uno spettacolo

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Esatto sono le stoffe che spesso sono molto belle! Purtroppo ci sono anche vestiti che paiono di cotone del mercato, ma hanno fatto migliaia di costumi con un budget relativamente basso quindi francamente mi sento di scusarli!
    Comunque son sicura che anche il DVD aiuti parecchio in confronto al file subbato che perdeva molto in qualità, io cercavo di scaricare sempre in 720 ma al PC non era lo stesso granché!

4. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

Guarda, per il budget che avevano sia da bbc che da starz, che comunque non era poco, ma nemmeno tantissimo, se paragonato ad altre produzioni, hanno fatto un buonissimo lavoro! anche i ricicli che c'erano erano di qualità, hanno fatto rifornimento in ottime sartorie sia britanniche che italiane che spagnole! In Spagna poi c'è una sartoria davvero rinomata che fornisce sia abiti che pellicce che accessori splendidi; io al momento sono rapita con un serial che si intitola TOLEDO CRUCE DE DESTINOS che ha dei bellissimi costumi e gioielli usati anche in produzioni come CAMELOT, VIKINGS e THE BASTARD EXECUTIONER, in più fornisce anche delle pellicce per GAME OF THRONES quella sartoria...Insomma il costumista è stato davvero bravo ed è rimasto in tema con l'epoca della war of the roses!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    1QHRsuZ
    CITAZIONE
    Quilted Trousers and @MichaelAMaloney… Good times! #WhiteQueen

https://twitter.com/David_Oakes/status/676199981515149312

6. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

Quest'uomo è in grado di ispirarmi a tirargli una teiera sulla testa e a baciarlo nello stesso momento, e ci vuole talento...

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Ottima scelta d'oggetto contundente per un Brit!

8. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

Mi sembrava doveroso, non posso colpirlo con una volgare caffettiera...ieri ho visto MORTDECAI e mi sento molto brit!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    tumblr_n97araXWez1rk6vj0o2_1280

Advanced Member

Group
    umanisti

Status
    Anonymous
    Mi sa che non avevamo queste:

shIFXy7

PUTk2tn

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    IaCjmd5
    src

nLGstIh
    x

0tudgay
    x

Advanced Member

Group
    umanisti

Status
    Anonymous
    Qui la BBC One si è divertita:

fonte

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Ahahah oddio, la seconda è epica!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Spuntano ancora stills che non erano su farfaraway, questa cosa è destabilizzante

YEESyNN

e4MI0U9

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Credo siano nuove o seminuove

KwAtvFO

VgrEyku

812 replies since 31/8/2012, 12:08   27604 views