Showtime Boss to Protesting 'Borgias' Fans: Try Kickstarter

« Older   Newer »

1. marie.

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    Fans of Showtime's recently canceled drama The Borgias took advantage of the cable network's time at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour Tuesday to send a message to executives.

As Showtime entertainment president David Nevins made his way into the Beverly Hilton, a lone protester dressed in a white monk's robe stood outside the hotel with a message to save the Jeremy Irons drama.

Additionally, fans of the series took to the sky and hired a plane to fly a banner over the network's Dexter-themed outdoor lunch with a simple message: "D Nevins: Sho fans you care -- save The Borgias."
    "You can't do it all. I would love to do the final two-hour movie, but you have to marshal your resources and put it behind things that you think have future growth," Nevins tells The Hollywood Reporter of the save-our-show campaign.
    Nevins notes that he did stop to speak to the lone protester outside the hotel Tuesday but was disappointed with the outcome.

"The one protester outside -- I stopped to talk to him, a dude named Zack, [who] never watched The Borgias," he says of the campaign that includes a website and Twitter feed. "There was one protestor out there in a white monk's robe and he'd never watched the show. He's a paid protester."
    Showtime canceled The Borgias in June after three seasons. The Neil Jordan series, which stars Irons as Pope Alexander VI, was originally planned to run four seasons to parallel the duration of its predecessor at the network: The Tudors.
    Jordan initially planned to end the series with a two-hour movie, which Nevins commissioned. Ultimately, the venture proved too expensive and the decision was made to allow the June 16 season-three finale to wrap up the story.
    "I get a lot of e-mails from fans in Romania, Italy and Croatia, disappointed about The Borgias," Nevins acknowledges.
    The executive, who is currently prepping another religion-themed drama with The Vatican starring Friday Night Lights favorite Kyle Chandler, does have a message to The Borgias' dedicated and vocal fan base.
    "Kickstarter seems to be the financing mode du jour," he says.
    The lone protester was joined in the afternoon by the pages from the CW's period drama Reign -- an addition Nevins joked about during his executive presentation following the lunch break. With both shows in the similar genre, the CW looked at it as an opportunity to market its upcoming Mary, Queen of Scots, drama.
    A spokesperson for the Save the Borgias campaign confirmed in an email to THR that the initial protester was paid by the fundraising group of more than 5,000 participants worldwide to represent them during the workday when many were unable to attend. The group says it has collected more than 15,000 signatures in the month since the series ended.

THR

CITAZIONE
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — It’s over. The Borgias will not return, Showtime Entertainment president David Nevins told reporters Tuesday at the summer meeting of the Television Critics Association. The Borgias, a Canadian Screen Award winning period drama starring Jeremy Irons and Montreal native Francois Arnaud in a tale of papal intrigue in Renaissance Italy, ended June 16 after three seasons and 29 episodes.

Writer-director Neil Jordan said at the time that he felt he had told the story he needed to tell and was anxious to pursue new projects.

Jordan, winner of 2004’s Irish PEN Award for Irish literature and the writer-director of the Oscar winning The Crying Game and 1984’s The Company of Wolves, directed the 2012 vampire thriller Byzantium, with Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Atterton and Jonny Lee Miller. He also directed the 2007 feature film The Brave One, starring Jodie Foster.

Jordan originally intended The Borgias to last four seasons. The final episode of the third season, The Prince, ended with Arnaud’s character, Cesare Borgia, swearing eternal love for his sister Lucrezia Borgia, played by Manchester, U.K., native Holliday Grainger.

Jordan felt the story had been told, at that point. He proposed that Showtime end the series with a two-hour, made-for-television film, and was reportedly annoyed that Showtime rejected the proposal and opted instead to cancel the series outright.

Ratings for The Borgias’ third and final season equalled those of earlier seasons on Showtime. At its peak, The Borgias was one of the most-watched dramatic series in the premium cable channel’s history.

The Borgias aired on Bell Media-owned Bravo in Canada, and was co-produced by the Toronto-based Canadian production company Take 5 Productions.

Nevins told reporters Tuesday he examined The Borgias’ proposal from all angles and decided in the end that the cost to make a two-hour film outweighed any financial benefit Showtime might receive from it.

“We looked hard at doing a two-hour finale,” he said. “The economics just didn’t make sense. I honestly believe it came to a good stopping point in season three.”

Showtime’s decision in June to cancel the series prompted one of the most vociferous, energetic fan campaigns in recent TV memory.

Hours before Nevins faced reporters at the critics’ meeting, fans commissioned a light plane to fly a banner over the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where Showtime executives and TV critics had gathered.

Nevins noted that when he arrived at his office in West Hollywood early Tuesday morning, a protester was staring at him through the window, waving a placard.

When he asked the protester what he liked so much about The Borgias, though, the protester admitted he’d been hired and had never actually seen the show.

“I feel badly about the money that’s being spent,” Nevins said of the campaign. He said once a decision has been made to cancel a show, it’s final.

canda.com

Edited by ‚dafne - 31/7/2013, 10:13

2. Lolita9

User deleted

Don't give up hope. The guy called Zak was not a protester but someone paid because on a Tuesday people were at work. Plus the man in question says that he was NEVER approached by Nevins, and another member who recorded the whole thing says Nevins is lying and never approached them.

Don't be disheartened!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    I'm not. I just think we can't persuade them, not now at least. Sho made a movie of Dead Like Me like five years after the show was cancelled, not to mention Veronica Mars -- they're making the movie now! I think if it's gonna happen, it's not gonna be now. I know TB fans are persistent, so I guess time is not a problem.

4. marie.

User deleted

In italiano:

CITAZIONE
    Nonostante siano trascorse settimane dall’annuncio della cancellazione, i fan di The Borgias non smettono di mandare ‘segnali’ agli executives di Showtime, ma il presidente David Nevins rispedisce le critiche al mittente e invita i fan – che qualche ora fa hanno fatto volare persino un aereo per mostrare la loro passione – a rivolgersi a Kickstarter.

Mentre andava al TCA Tour di Showtime, il presidente della rete David Nevins è stato fermato da un manifestante vestito da monaco bianco che lo ha pregato di salvare il drama con Jeremy Irons, cancellato mesi fa e di cui, notizia di pochi giorni fa, non si farà neanche un film tv, perché sarebbe stato troppo costoso.

Una protesta che però non è piaciuta a Nevins, che spiega all’Hollywood Reporter:

Mi sono fermato a parlare con il contestatore, ma era solo un tizio di nome Zach che peraltro non aveva mai visto lo show, era un contestatore pagato.

Ricevo un sacco di mail dai fan di Romania, Italia e Croazia arrabbiati per la fine dei Borgia, purtroppo non possiamo fare tutto: ci sarebbe piaciuto un film da due ore ma dobbiamo bilanciare le nostre risorse e metterle in cose che si pensa abbiano una crescita.

source

Ignite, my love. Ignite.

Group
    pinturicchio

Status
    Anonymous
    Ormai Kickquellacosa sta diventando una moda, della serie: volete, pagate. Tra un po' andremo al supermercato e insieme ad un etto di prosciutto compreremo anche tre episodi di uno show cancellato. Basta che i fans non diventino ossessivo-compulsivi altrimenti peggiorano la situazione, non voglio una showtime con le scatole girate...

6. marie.

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    Tra un po' andremo al supermercato e insieme ad un etto di prosciutto compreremo anche tre episodi di uno show cancellato.

Che poi non basta pagare per vederli, bisogna pure metterci i soldi! XD Follia.

5 replies since 31/7/2013, 08:17   387 views