Maria Stuart (Mary, Queen of Scots)

« Older   Newer »

1. marie.

User deleted

R3DjCaH

CITAZIONE
    Marìa Stuarda (ingl. Mary Stuart o M. queen of Scots) regina di Scozia. - Figlia (Linlithgow 1542 - Fotheringay Castle, Northamptonshire, 1587) di Giacomo V e di Maria di Lorena. Mandata in Francia (1548) perché fosse sottratta al fidanzamento con Edoardo d'Inghilterra voluto da Enrico VIII, M. vi fu educata alla corte di Enrico II e fidanzata col delfino Francesco, che poi sposò nell'apr. 1558. Bella, di carattere energico, seppe tener testa alle difficoltà che Caterina de' Medici, avversa al partito dei Guisa, cui M. era legata da rapporti di parentela, le opponeva, dominando il debole marito. La morte di Francesco II (5 dic. 1560) la fece però attenta alla situazione in Scozia, dove si era favorevolmente conclusa, con l'aiuto di Elisabetta d'Inghilterra, la lotta per la proclamazione del protestantesimo; M. si rifiutò di riconoscere il trattato di Edimburgo, in base al quale erano stati espulsi i Francesi, ma accettò l'invito dei lord protestanti, presto delusi dell'amicizia di Elisabetta, e nell'agosto 1561 sbarcò a Leith. Furono anni tranquilli: la collaborazione fra i lord protestanti e M. fu cementata dall'appoggio del conte di Moray e dell'ala moderata dei protestanti scozzesi, che consentì a M. la personale professione del culto cattolico e una generale politica di tolleranza religiosa. Il difficile equilibrio (la pressione dei circoli cattolici su M. non era meno forte del violento estremismo di J. Knox) fu rotto quando M., che aveva rifiutato un matrimonio col conte di Leicester proposto da Elisabetta, sposò, incurante dell'opposizione protestante, Enrico Darnley, il capo dei cattolici scozzesi (1565); poi sconfisse Moray, che si rifugiò in Inghilterra. La grave situazione fu complicata dall'ambizione del debole Darnley a farsi proclamare principe-consorte e dall'improvvisa passione di M. per il suo segretario Davide Rizzio; una breve alleanza di Darnley con i nobili protestanti, sempre più irritati dai tentativi di restaurazione cattolica di M., portò all'assassinio di Rizzio (1566) e poi si sfasciò. M. diede una nuova prova del carattere tutto passionale e non politico della sua azione; riconciliatasi col marito (il 19 giugno le nasceva il figlio Giacomo), riuscì a scindere l'opposizione dei nobili, e con l'aiuto dei conti di Bothwell, di Huntly e di Atholl tornò a Edimburgo dal suo rifugio di Dunbar, iniziando una relazione con Bothwell, che fu l'inizio della catastrofe. Darnley fu assassinato (9 febbr. 1567), e nel maggio successivo, dopo avventurose vicende, M. sposò, secondo il rito protestante, Bothwell. La violenta opposizione dei nobili, che vincitori a Carberry Hill costrinsero M. all'abdicazione e al ritiro a Lochleven, travolse la sua testarda resistenza e, sconfitta ancora a Langside, M. cercò rifugio in Inghilterra presso Elisabetta. L'avversione personale per la regina cattolica, che aveva in varie occasioni mostrato di non voler rinunciare ai suoi diritti al trono inglese, fu contenuta dall'imbarazzo politico di Elisabetta che non voleva immischiarsi nella punizione di una regina; e per un momento si pensò di risolvere la difficile situazione sposando M. col duca di Norfolk. Un progetto che fallì presto, mentre M. tentava disperati complotti con i Guisa e con Filippo II di Spagna, finché, compromessasi imprudentemente nella congiura di A. Babington, nell'ott. 1586 fu processata e (11 ottobre) condannata a morte. Dopo molte esitazioni, Elisabetta si decise a firmare il decreto di morte, che fu eseguito il 7 febbraio 1587.

treccani

CITAZIONE
    Mary Stewart was the victim of a golden childhood snatched away by widowhood, and her tragedy was an accidental one. [...]
    She was born in Scotland to a French mother, crowned at the age of nine months and, to avoid a forced marriage with an English prince, was sent at once for safekeeping to her relatives in France. Here she was educated to be a fairy princess, betrothed to the Dauphin – sadly, he was retarded both mentally and physically – and she was destined to become a glittering queen of France. When she gained the throne, her uncles and their allies ruthlessly used her position to wield power for themselves until she was rendered useless by the death of the feeble boy-king. Therefore, still a virgin and now a widow at the age of eighteen years and seven months, her career in France was over, and, with her carefully protective education abandoned, she returned to Scotland.
    She had been educated in a time of aggressively masculine rulers and had been taught the skills of female empowerment by two eminently powerful women of contrasting personalities: Diane de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici. She had seen direct female rule in its full effect under her cousin Elizabeth I of England, but such was the gilded cage that had been constructed around her that she never put any of her lessons into practice.

Da An Accidental Tragedy di Roderick Graham

tumblr_inline_movlp7SkrT1qz4rgp

CITAZIONE
    Exhibition reveals the real Mary, Queen of Scots

Try this today. Ask people who they think is Scotland’s most famous woman. In response I got a couple of JK Rowlings, an Annie Lennox or two, even a Dolly the Sheep from Confused of Marchmont, but the vast majority of people immediately plump for Mary, Queen of Scots.

Almost 500 years after her birth she still exerts huge fascination despite the fact her reign as queen in her own right only lasted from 1561 to 1567. Short-lived it may have been, but it was action-packed. Mary’s time on earth was crammed with romance, murder, mystery, betrayals, imprisonment and finally a beheading. The full facts may never be known – was she involved in her second husband’s murder, abducted and raped by her third? Despite the intense scrutiny she has always attracted, it’s not clear.

“Mary is of abiding interest because she was a woman in a man’s world,” says David Forsyth, Senior Curator, Scottish Social History and Diaspora at National Museums Scotland. “She lived at a time when horizons and knowledge were expanding, and was at the heart of it. Then there’s the story of the battle of the cousins, which you could argue Mary ultimately won – Elizabeth died childless and with her the Tudors, while Mary’s Stuart line extended down the centuries to today’s royal family.”

Educated, beautiful, powerful, 6ft tall with red hair and alabaster skin, Mary was the It Girl of her day. She had all the glamour of today’s young royals but was ten times more exciting. She led her troops in battle, knew her country – there’s scarcely a castle in Scotland without a plaque reminding us Mary rested her strawberry-blonde head there overnight – and held her own against some of the most difficult and dangerous political animals of her day.

One of a few powerful female Renaissance rulers, Mary wasted no time in becoming queen at six days old in 1542, when her father James V died. Regents ruled Scotland while she was raised in the French court and married the Dauphin, but widowed at 17 Mary returned home, to the consternation of John Knox and the Protestant reformers. Her cousin Elizabeth also feared Mary’s Catholicism and legitimate claims to the English throne. While the rivalry between the two and Mary’s 19 years in captivity are crucial, there’s a lot more to her story than that of the victim queen.

History is hot these days and historical dramas have seen the Tudors top the ratings. Now it’s Mary’s turn with a US series entitled Reign, airing this autumn on the CW Network. Described as Game of Thrones meets Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, it’s aimed at the Vampire Diaries demographic and its promise of “danger and sexual intrigue around every dark corner” may prove to be more hysterically than historically accurate.

With the facts shrouded in mystery, perhaps it’s easier to understand Mary and explore the past through tangible objects. That’s why I find myself near where she landed in Leith in 1561, in the vast warehouses of the NMS’s Granton store. There are three million plus objects here, including those destined for an exhibition of the queen’s life that will open at the National Museum of Scotland this week.

In it the cult of Mary will be revealed through documents, artefacts and letters, from her first note in Scots to her mother back in Scotland when she was seven, to her final missive on the morning of her execution, asking that her servants be paid. There’s her prized Jesus crown thorn relic, an ivory and mother-of-pearl crossbow, and over on a table, Darren Cox is polishing a dark oak decorative swag from the walls of Mary’s mother’s house. He’s also been buffing up an astrolabe like the ones mariners used to cross the Atlantic in their quests for Eldorado.

“It’s when you have to do a bit of carving on something that you realise the skill they had was amazing, and doesn’t exist any more,” he says.

“We’re the how to look after it side of things,” says Lynn McClean in the spotless letters and textiles conservation room, where they’re working on Mary’s missives and contemporary books. “Our aim is to make things last longer so people see them. These letters had ingrained dirt, and have had quite a history - you want to preserve that too. She sat there with this piece of paper, touched it, signed it; it’s amazing to work on them,” she says.

Getting hands-on also appeals to George Dalgleish, Keeper, Scottish History and Archaeology at National Museums Scotland, who is particularly excited about the inclusion of the Penicuik Jewels in the exhibition. In his office in the Chambers Street museum, metres from the spot where the body of Lord Darnley was discovered, he dons white gloves and carefully lifts the gold necklace and cameo pendant worn by the queen to the end, along with two pendants that contain tiny portraits believed to be of Mary and her son James VI.

“There is very little of her material you can hand-on-heart say definitely belonged to her,” he says. “The closest we have to that historical nirvana is the Penicuik Jewels,” he says.

The jewels were given to the museum by the Clerk family, one of whom had married the granddaughter of one of Mary’s maids-of-honour. It’s on record the queen gave her jewels just before being executed at Fotheringay.

“We can say the necklace and heart jewel were hers. The necklace was possibly originally part of a rosary and contained perfume. The heart locket is late 16th century, and the cameo is Mary, with the surround added later. The other two were possibly made to be given as gifts by Mary,” he says.

While the jewels reveal a lot about Mary, they also tell us about Scotland’s place in a rapidly changing world.

“The Scots nobility were well aware of European fashions – Mary wouldn’t have been married to the Dauphin if Scotland had been a barbaric country of savages. It had a substantial dynastic importance, sitting between competing power blocks, and punched above its weight,” says Dalgleish.

David Forsyth also sees the exhibition as an opportunity for visitors to appreciate the bigger picture of the role Mary and Scotland played on the world stage.

“This is the first time a major exhibition has brought together documents, maps, letters, paintings, jewellery and objects. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Objects have a resonance; the thorn, the prayer book, jewels. People in the past touched them and that’s what’s important,” says Forsyth.

Apart from Mary’s belongings there will also be contemporary objects that reflect the explosion of learning that was taking place, such as one of the first modern atlases, the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, made by Abraham Ortelius of Antwerp in 1570. This shows Scotland complete with Barwick [Berwick-upon-Tweed] as big as Edinburgh, Glasquo [Glasgow} and Dunbar, and the whole country displayed on its side, as if approached from the Low Countries rather than Westminster.

“We’re really keen to get away from the slightly hackneyed story of Elizabeth and Mary, and her years in captivity and look at her as a Renaissance monarch,” says Forsyth. “Her rule in Scotland has been overlooked. She’s not just a frivolous young woman who likes dancing but was well-educated and governs properly, and unusually, leads her troops in battle. She really was something else, especially when you look at the men around her. I hope people will see her in a wider context and get a fresh insight. She’s long overdue that reappraisal.”

• Mary, Queen of Scots, National Museums Scotland, Chambers Street, Edinburgh, Friday to 17 November, is supported by Baillie Gifford investment managers ().

read more

Edited by ‚dafne - 20/10/2015, 13:01

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Poesia presumibilmente scritta da Mary, se seguite il link ce n'è anche un'altra!
    CITAZIONE
    Que suis-je hélas? Et de quoi sert ma vie?
    Je ne suis fors qu'un corps privé de coeur,
    Une ombre vaine, un objet de malheur
    Qui n'a plus rien que de mourir en vie.
    Plus ne me portez, O ennemis, d'envie
    A qui n'a plus l'esprit à la grandeur.
    J'ai consommé d'excessive douleur
    Votre ire en bref de voir assouvie.
    Et vous, amis, qui m'avez tenue chère,
    Souvenez-vous que sans coeur et sans santé
    Je ne saurais aucune bonne oeuvre faire,
    Souhaitez donc fin de calamité
    Et que, ici-bas étant assez punie,
    J'aie ma part en la joie infinie.

Alas what am I? What use has my life?
    I am but a body whose heart's torn away,
    A vain shadow, an object of misery
    Who has nothing left but death-in-life.
    O my enemies, set your envy all aside;
    I've no more eagerness for high domain;
    I've borne too long the burden of my pain
    To see your anger swiftly satisfied.
    And you, my friends who have loved me so true,
    Remember, lacking health and heart and peace,
    There is nothing worthwhile that I can do;
    Ask only that my misery should cease
    And that, being punished in a world like this,
    I have my portion in eternal bliss.

www.marie-stuart.co.uk/poetry.htm

CITAZIONE
    En mon triste et doux chant In my sad, quiet song,
    D'un ton fort lamentable, A melancholy air,
    Je jette un oeil tranchant, I shall look deep and long
    De perte incomparable, At loss beyond compare,
    Et en soupirs cuisants And with bitter tears,
    Passe mes meilleurs ans. I'll pass my best years.
    Fut-il un tel malheur Have the harsh fates ere now
    De dure destinée Let such a grief be felt,
    Ni si triste douleur Has a more cruel blow
    De Dame Fortunée Been by Dame Fortune dealt
    Qui, mon coeur et mon oeil, Than, O my heart and my eyes!
    Vois en bière et cercueil? I see where his bier lies?
    Qui en mon doux printemps In my springtime's gladness
    Et fleur de ma jeunesse And flower of my young heart,
    Toutes les peines sens I feel the deepest sadness
    D'une extrême tristesse Of the most grievous hurt.
    Et en rien n'ai plaisir Nothing now my heart can fire
    Qu'en regret et désir But regret and desire.
    Ce qui m'était plaisant He who was my dearest
    Ores m’est peine dure; Already is my plight.
    Le jour le plus luisant The day that shone the clearest
    M’est nuit noire et obscure; For me is darkest night.
    Et n’est rien si exquis There is nothing now so fine
    Qui de moi soit requis. That I need make it mine.
    J’ai au coeur et à l’oeil Deep in my eyes and heart
    Un portrait et image A portrait has its place
    Qui figure mon deuil Which shows the world my hurt
    Et mon pâle visage In the pallor of my face,
    De violettes teint Pale as when violets fade,
    Qui est l’amoureux teint. True love’s becoming a shade
    Pour un mal étranger In my unwonted pain
    Je ne m’arrête en place, I can no more be still,
    Mais j’en ai beau changer Rising time and again
    Si ma douleur efface; To drive away my ill.
    Car mon pis et mon mieux All things good and bad
    Sont mes plus déserts lieux. Have lost the taste they had.
    Si en quelque séjour, And thus I always stay
    Soit en bois ou en pré, Whether in wood or meadow,
    Soit pour l’aube du jour Whether at dawn of day
    Ou soit pour la vesprée, Or at the evening shadow.
    Sans cesse mon coeur sent My heart feels ceaselessly
    Le regret d’un absent Grief for his loss to me.
    Si parfois vers ces lieux Sometimes in such a place
    Viens à dresser ma vue, His image comes to me.
    Le doux trait de ses yeux The sweet smile on his face
    Je vois en une nue; Up in a cloud I see.
    Soudain je vois en l’eau Then sudden in the mere
    Comme dans un tombeau. I see his funeral bier.
    Si je suis en repos, When I lie quietly
    Sommeillante sur ma couche Sleeping upon my couch,
    J’ois qu’il me tient propos; I hear him speak to me
    Je le sens qu’il me touche; And I can feel his touch.
    En labeur, en reçoi, In my duties each day
    Toujours est près de moi. He is near me always.
    Je ne vois autre objet Nothing seems fine to me
    Pour beau qu’il se présente; Unless he is therein.
    A quel que soit sujet My heart will not agree
    Oncques mon coeur consente Unless he is within
    Exempte de perfection I lack all perfection
    A cette affliction In my cruel dejection.
    Mets chanson ici fin I shall cease my song now,
    A si triste complainte My sad lament shall end
    Dont sera le refrain; Whose burden aye shall show
    Amour vrai et non feint True love can not pretend
    Pour la séparation And though we are apart,
    N’aura diminution. Grows no less in my heart

www.marie-stuart.co.uk/poetry.htm

E queste sembrano essere alcune sue "quotes"

CITAZIONE
    He who is not content with moderate fortune, is
    often reduced to poverty and to obscurity, while aim-
    ing at too high a destiny.

CITAZIONE
    Speak not to me of the wisdom of women ; I know
    my own sex well ; the wisest among us all is only a
    little less foolish than the rest !

CITAZIONE
    I am deliberately resolved rather to die than re-
    sign my crown ; and the last words that I shall utter
    in my life, will be the words of a Queen of Scot-
    land!

CITAZIONE
    Gain the heart, and there is nothing that shall
    not be yours and at your devotion.

CITAZIONE
    There is no recipe against fear.

Edited by ‚dafne - 7/3/2014, 01:55

3. marie.

User deleted

Un busto bellissimo:

94eba9d5ec9e8456e2ff3ea02b3563fc

source

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Lei era una molto bella secondo me, anche perché i Guisa brutti non erano per niente ;___; Comunque ho sentimenti contrastanti verso di lei da una parte la sua storia con Bothwell mi piace molto, d'altra parte mi sta sul pimpi per quanto riguarda il matrimonio con Francesco e l'alleanza parentale con i Guisa... Le quotes mi paiono molto da lei , mi piace la terza , anche se mi pare di rivederci Elisabetta XDD

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Forse perché venerava la madre e quindi i suoi parenti dovevano sembrarle un suo naturale prolungamento XD
    Con Bothwell è la mia otp, non sono ancora arrivata nella parte della Fraser che mi smonta tutta la storia ma sono sicura che passerò sopra anche a quello!

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Esatto, alla fine anche gli stessi Guisa erano un clan chiuso come i Borgia , o almeno a me sono sembrati cosi ! Con Bothwell hanno il fascino della ship maledetta, ma in effetti la Fraser ti smonta ogni passione romantica!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Solo che, per quello che ne so da come me lo riportano altri, mi sembra che faccia passare Maria per una totale smidollata che si lascia stuprare senza colpo ferire e manipolare dall'inizio alla fine... Preferisco pensare che con Bothwell sapesse cosa stava facendo!

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    La Fraser va a simpatia e lo sappiamo XD Che Maria non sia la sua preferita si capisce secondo me, anche se non penso si sia inventato tutto quello che ha scritto, solo che ha letto le fonti che aveva nella maniera sbagliata o almeno nella maniera che a lei faceva più comodo . Per l'idea che io mi sono fatta Maria ha sempre saputo quello che voleva e cosa voleva, non posso dire però che ad un certo punto non si sia fatta intortare da Bothwell perché aveva perso la testa per lui, per me è palese che alcuni errori li abbia fatti per il troppo amore e perché politicamente ha creduto nelle persone sbagliate e nelle possibilità sbagliate, il pensare poi che grazie a Norfolk avrebbe preso il trono di Inghilterra per me è da pazzi, ma io ho il senno di poi , lei di certo ha dovuto decidere in una situazione estrema .

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE
    non posso dire però che ad un certo punto non si sia fatta intortare da Bothwell perché aveva perso la testa per lui, per me è palese che alcuni errori li abbia fatti per il troppo amore e perché politicamente ha creduto nelle persone sbagliate e nelle possibilità sbagliate

Sì su questo punto sono d'accordissimo, le mancava il fiuto della cugina e anche della madre tutto sommato, era uno spirito romantico e un po' svenevole e penso che sia vero che l'infanzia dorata alla corte di Francia l'abbia rovinata; è il destino dei bambini viziati XD probabilmente pensava di poter avere tutto, la "carriera" e la vita personale che più pareva a lei.

Questa è una ciocca di suoi capelli venduta all'asta:

KJYgtDn

CITAZIONE
    A LOCK of hair belonging to Mary Queen of Scots was snapped up for a whopping £7200.

The hair, which was mounted on top of a jewellery box and once belonged to Lady Belhaven, was originally expected to fetch around 3000 at auction in Edinburgh.

The jewellery box carries the inscription "A Lock of Queen Mary's Hair Which Belonged to the Late Lady Belhaven".

The historic artefact was discovered locked away in a secret drawer of a bureau in Lord Belhaven's official residence at Holyrood Palace in the mid-1800s.

An envelope with a handwritten note with the words "a lock of my own hair" and signed "Mary R" was also found alongside the lock.

The lock of hair and the jewellery box were sold to an anonymous buyer at the Lyon & Turnbull auction house.

A spokesperson for Lyon & Turnbull said: "The bidder who attended the auction won with an unbelievable bid, but he went away a very happy man.

"He told me he was a collector of historical Scottish pieces."

"He said he just had to have it."

x

Edited by ‚dafne - 28/9/2014, 14:30

10. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

Io sono pienamente d'accordo con entrambe! Mary Stuart era certamente uno spirito più impulsivo di sua cugina Elizabeth e sicuramente, pur non mancando di intelligenza, mancava in parte di acume politico e anche di una sorta di "ingegno perverso", passatemi il termine, che le avrebbe salvato sicuramente la vita! Non ci si deve fidare di nessuno, mai! Specialmente dei Duchi di Norfolk! Personalmente io consiglio la lettura della Fraser agli "addetti ai lavori", perché usa le fonti in maniera troppo "disinvolta" e va anche a simpatia, cosa che uno storico non dovrebbe mai fare!

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Sono molto affezionata alla Fraser (una che mi scrive sia Maria Antonietta che le Sei Mogli che Maria Stuart!) ma non è la prima volta che me la sento sconsigliare come storica!

12. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

è sicuramente una brava biografa, ma come storica è decisamente troppo libera!
    Di lei si deve apprezzare il fatto che ha un sistema di note molto accurato e le sue bibliografie sono molto complete, ma questo può essere un'arma a doppio taglio, perché se non si sa usare una fonte o una bibliografia, chi legge rischia di fare un'immane confusione! A questo punto meglio i "Bigini" della Melotti!!

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Esatto sa essere una biografa, ma non una storica, però la Melotti io proprio non la sopporto XD E' troppo faziosa, ma davvero troppo, lessi una sua bio su Caterina De' Medici e pensai di bruciarla XDD Tornando alla discussione principale penso che in effetti il soggiorno francese di Maria sia stato un impedimento per lei, pensava che l'Inghilterra fosse come la Francia e che i cattolici fossero perfettamente in grado di gestire una situazione di potere senza risentire di una Elisabetta..

14. Ilithyia Laeta 86

User deleted

La Melotti è una "Biginista"!!! La detesto anch'Io!! Una biografia (sono fin troppo gentile a chiamarla così) di Elisabetta Tudor di 200 pagine scarse?!! Cosa ha inalato la benzina?!! Ma sul serio è seria?!!! Ti sconsiglio anche Elisabetta Sala, altra biginista!! :angry:
    Pubblicate me ed il mio studio sui Rapporti tra crociati e bizantini visti con gli occhi di Anna Comnena!!!! ;)

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Il fatto è che una può scrivere un bel libro di 200 pagine, ma i suoi non appassionano proprio. Hanno di buono il prezzo, e penso che siano ottimi per uno che non è abituato a leggere biografie, ma in caso contrario...

L'arpa di Mary:

6EDpgp2
    CITAZIONE
    This harp was traditionally said to have been given by Mary, Queen of Scots to Beatrix Gardyne of Banchory, while on a hunting trip to Atholl, c 1563.

However new research has revealed that this association is more likely to be because the harp’s forepillar originally had a gold coin with a portrait of Mary fixed to it. Beatrix Gardyne married John Robertson of Monzie sometime before 1564 and the coin may have been added then to a treasured family heirloom to emphasise the importance of this marriage.

x

64 replies since 24/6/2013, 12:31   2356 views