Mary Boleyn

« Older   Newer »

1. marie.

User deleted

boleyn-girls_2064048c

CITAZIONE
    The story of the Boleyn sisters and Henry VIII’s amorous adventures have long been a source of fascination. In the wake of the Hollywood blockbuster The Other Boleyn Girl, and the TV drama The Tudors, it has become a global obsession (despite the huge historical inaccuracies in both), as one can see reflected in numerous internet sites, where historical personages like Anne Boleyn now have what are virtually fan clubs.
    What is it about the Tudors that we find so compelling? Easy to answer: they were the most charismatic and dynamic of monarchs, who ruled over an age of great change. A king with six wives, two of whom he beheaded? A young woman (Lady Jane Grey) executed after nine days on the throne? The first women to rule? You couldn’t make it up.
    This, too, is an age that witnessed the growth of diplomacy and literacy. Thanks to international interest in Henry VIII’s marital adventures, no detail was thought too insignificant to be reported. For the first time, we had detailed insights into our sovereign’s private lives. It was also an age of magnificence, in palaces, dress and lifestyle, and of the development of portraiture.
    As Mantel knows, it’s Anne’s dramatic story that has proved the most enduring. But it was the life of Anne’s sister which captivated me. She was mistress to two kings, daughter of a fiercely ambitious royal adviser and sister to one of the most notorious women in British history. Never before have I written about a subject who has been so mythologised and misrepresented.

So first, those facts in full. Yes, Mary Boleyn was the mistress of two kings: Francis I of France and Henry VIII of England. And it was because of Henry’s intimacy with Mary that his marriage to Anne was declared invalid. This tangled web has given rise to rumours and misconceptions that have been embroidered over the centuries, obscuring the truth about Mary.
    It is clear many have a fictionalised perception of Mary Boleyn. Hence the need for my new book, the first which explores Mary’s life in depth – and presents strong evidence that Mary bore Henry VIII a child.
    Mary was said to be by far the more beautiful of the Boleyn sisters. In 1514, she went to France in the train of Henry VIII’s sister, Mary Tudor, who was to marry Louis XII. Licentiousness reigned at the French court. There, Mary Boleyn briefly became the mistress of Louis’s successor, Francis I.
    In 1536, the year Anne was beheaded, Ridolfo Pio, the Papal Nuncio in Paris, was to report that Francis “knew [Mary] for a very great whore, the most infamous of them all”.
    Pio was an unreliable source. As the Pope’s official envoy, he was inclined to vilify the Boleyns, who were blamed for the break with Rome. But if Mary’s reputation had been that bad, we would have other reports of it – and we don’t. Claims she became free with her favours are overstated, for there is not a single contemporary reference to support them.
    When Mary Tudor returned to England, Anne Boleyn stayed on at the French court, returning to England in 1522. However, Mary Boleyn disappears from history, only reappearing in 1520 when she married Sir William Carey, one of the privileged gentlemen of the King’s Privy Chamber.
    It was probably two years later that Mary became Henry’s mistress – the 31-year-old King was in his prime, but married to the ageing Katherine of Aragon. His affair with Mary was conducted so discreetly, there is no record of it. Contrary to popular belief, there was no open scandal at the time.
    Mary bore two children: Katherine, in 1524, and Henry, in 1525. It is often claimed that the King was the father, but Henry never acknowledged either child. Yet, I have discovered strong evidence that Katherine Carey was Henry VIII’s daughter, notably in a poem written by Sir Philip Sidney for Katherine’s granddaughter, Penelope Rich. The royal theme and the language of majesty recur throughout, and he even speaks of strange tales “broidered with bulls” – a clear reference to the Boleyn arms – and of “hiding royal blood full oft in rural vein”.
    Henry soon tired of Mary, and William Carey died in 1528, leaving her in penury. She attended her sister’s coronation in 1533, and it was perhaps there that she met the man who would become her second husband.
    Again, she was to court scandal – this time very publicly. In 1534, Anne, desperate for a son and aware that the King’s passion for her was dying, was horrified when her sister appeared at court noticeably pregnant. Mary confessed that she had secretly married – for love – plain Mr William Stafford, a younger son of knightly birth with no fortune. Anne was incensed and persuaded the King to banish the couple from court. It is unlikely the sisters were ever reconciled.
    William was a soldier in Calais, and Mary went to live with him there, which explains why there is no mention of her in connection with the cataclysmic fall of the Boleyns in 1536. Four years after returning to England, in 1543, she died in peaceful obscurity, happily married to the man she loved – the luckiest of the Boleyns. Would she ever have dreamt how compellingly her story, and that of her family, would intrigue us nearly 500 years later?

telegraph

2. xcusemymonkey

User deleted

Bello, bello!
    Comunque sia devo essere sincera, anche io se non fosse stato per il film ed il tv show anni fa non mi sarei mai interessata a lei, giacché era Anna il fulcro di ogni mia attenzione.
    C'è da dire che è quella che ''ne è uscita meglio'' a livello materiale, nel senso che alla fine ha sposato chi amava e via dicendo, però non esce dalla fama della sua famiglia... A volte mi ricorda un po' Lucrezia, nel senso che nonostante faccia parte della leggenda nera dei Borgia è quella che viene rivalutata come Duchessa di Ferrara.

3. marie.

User deleted

Io ho sempre un debole per i personaggi un po' sfigati quindi Maria mi è interessata subito (anche se senza TOBG potrei non averla mai conosciuta). Mi sembra anche più interessante la vera o presunta tale più di quella innocentina del romanzo, perché la parabola di "royal mistress" che sposa un signor nessuno per poi essere l'unica Bolena che muore nel proprio letto sembra quasi una storia di successo personale al contrario, no? =))

4. xcusemymonkey

User deleted

Sì, appunto, ma mantenuto un profilo basso (rispetto alla sis, che ha voluto il trono) e se l'è goduta. Però Anna è Anna.

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Chiaro sì, tutta un'altra pasta! Certo che è una tristezza pensare a come funzionavano le famiglie, due sorelle che diventano estranee!

6. xcusemymonkey

User deleted

Beh è peggio se pensi che i genitori facevano buon viso a cattivo gioco mentre le figlie si ''prostituivano'' (ma mi pare un termine un po' improprio) platealmente.

7. marie.

User deleted

A proposito, questa intervista a Alison Weir (autrice di una biografia di Mary) mi ha fatto pensare a quello che hai detto:

CITAZIONE
    Daily RFT: How hard was it to write a biography of someone about whom virtually nothing is known?

Alison Weir: There's actually quite a lot known about her, but it's the wrong thing. The view of her in The Other Boleyn Girl and [the TV series] The Tudors is a romanticized view. I was struck by how different her life was. She has a notorious reputation now for being the king's mistress, but during her lifetime, she had no reputation at all. We only know of her affairs through later sources. There's endless speculation that the children of her first marriage were fathered by Henry VIII. I've found strong evidence that only her daughter was fathered by Henry. You gather fragments of information. You don't get close to the subject. You infer.

It seems like you felt sorry for her.

I did feel very sorry for her. I don't know the circumstances of her affair with Francois I, the king of France, but she was very young and probably had no choice. In the circumstances of her affair with Henry VIII, she was unwilling.

What were those circumstances? She was married at the time, right?

Yes. Cardinal Pole wrote a treatise that accused Henry of "violating" Mary [when the affair started in 1522]. In the early sixteenth century, "violate" still meant "rape" or "ravishment." Even if she wasn't technically raped, she was forced into this position by her family and the king.

I also felt sorry for her because it was clear the Boleyn family wanted her kept in obscurity. She was a walking impediment to Anne's marriage to Henry VIII. They had what was called an "affinity" because Henry had slept with Mary before he married Anne. It could have been considered incest. Henry received a dispensation to allow his marriage to Anne, but Mary was still a living reminder of that. She was seen as the black sheep and a bit of a failure because she hadn't made her mark. She was an embarrassment because of what she represented and her very existence reminded them she was the means to unseat her sister.

source

8. giavemi

User deleted

Al di là del romanzo gregoryano, non nutro molta stima per Anna e sinceramente non comprendo molto questa sua rivalutazione storica negli ultimi anni. Diciamolo: in fondo era un'arrivista.
    Maria non è certo il personaggio dolce e mite descritto dalla Gregory, gli storici concordano sul fatto che fosse già stata amante di Francesco I, prima che di Enricone.
    Tuttavia mi risulta lo stesso molto più simpatica rispetto alla sorella, è proprio una questione a pelle

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Anne ha degli ammiratori che più che ammiratori sono fans (probabilmente per via della serie televisiva). Io non voglio affatto sminuirla perché la trovo eccezionale, quello che mi rifiuto di accettare acriticamente è la certezza assoluta che fosse sinceramente innamorata, sinceramente riformista, sinceramente innocente eccetera. Se anche che mi dicessero che in realtà era appunto un'arrivista ed arrampicatrice sociale io non ci troverei niente di dissacrante, per me non sarebbe una bestemmia. Che cosa ne sappiamo? Nulla. Considerando che Enrico aveva avuto e lasciato Maria, a me pare del tutto plausibile che Anna abbia deciso di puntare più in alto usando anche molto calcolo. Non lo trovo moralmente ripugnante (ci sono cose ben peggiori nella vita) né sostengo che si sia "cercata" la sua fine solo perché è caduta esattamente come i suoi nemici e si è dimostrata sterile quanto Caterina (anche se sembra che qui il problema non fossero esattamente le mogli ma il marito). Prima di diventare luterano Enrico ne aveva dette di tutti i colori su Lutero, quindi non vedo perché il caso di Anna debba essere diverso: potrebbe aver semplicemente accettato il credo che le tornava più conveniente. Non dico che sia stato così, dico che è possibile. E' una visione che i "fans" della Bolena non accettano, perché la Bolena è il loro faro.

Maria non era una santa, e a leggere la sua "biografia" si capisce ancora meno di lei. E' frustrante. Non è tanto certa la sua relazione con Francesco: l'ha riferita nonricordochi ai tempi della caduta di Anna Bolena, riportando che "Francesco l'aveva conosciuta come grande e infamissima puttana". Parlava di un periodo molto lontano nel tempo, probabilmente addirittura di quando Maria era in Francia con Mary TUdor, e avrebbe avuto a stento il tempo materiale di intrecciare una relazione. Comunque questo nonricordochi poteva benissimo aver parlato con lo stesso Francesco, quindi essere sincero, ma di fatto gli immediati contemporanei non parlarono mai della relazione tra la Bolena e il re francese. La Gregory, per dire, è sicura che fossero calunnie successive.
    Riguardo alla relazione con Enrico VIII, invece, il cardinale Pole riferiva al Vaticano che Enrico aveva "violato" Maria e poi "se l'era tenuta", suggerendo addirittura che fosse stata appunto 'presa' contro la sua espressa volontà. Secondo Alison Weir (che ha scritto la biografia) non era detto che a corte si sapesse di questa relazione, anche perché se Caterina ne fosse stata a conoscenza si sarebbe opposta subito al matrimonio di Enrico con Anna a causa proprio della consanguineità tra loro causata dai rapporti precedenti del re con Maria, e sempre secondo Alison Weir questa storia deve essersi condotta con molta discrezione e i Bolena devono aver considerato Maria una specie di paria al suo termine, perché incarnava un potenziale impedimento alla nozze tra il re ed Anna.
    La lettera che Maria scrisse a Cromwell era quasi commovente: implorava Cromwell di parlare al re affinché intercedesse per lei presso Anna, indicando con ciò che tra Enrico e Anna fosse proprio lui quello che aveva Maria più a cuore.

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Un passaggio su Mary dal libro di Loades segnalato da Greta (The Boleyns):

CITAZIONE
    She acquired a reputation for easy virtue, and that was bad news from her father’s point of view, so at some time, probably in 1518, he called her home before any more damage should be done. Fortunately her reputation had not preceded her, and he was able to secure a place for her in the household of the Queen, Catherine of Aragon. This must have required considerable tact on Sir Thomas’s part, because the King’s favour was by no means an automatic passport to the Queen’s. [...] The Queen was expected to pay her own servants out of her jointure of over £4,000 a year, and had exclusive control over whom she appointed to her chamber, so Henry was in no position to plant the daughter of a favoured courtier.

Forse è la testa romantica di Alison Weir che manipola il mio pensiero, ma se KoA aveva pieno controllo del proprio seguito e l'ha esercitato per accogliere Mary non sarà che Mary non era poi questa donnaccia? Quanto potevano essere potenti le arti persuasive di Thomas Boleyn se sua figlia era una causa persa?

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    La cattiva reputazione di Mary è stata messa in dubbio anche da Kyra Cornelius Kramer, l'autrice di The Jezebel Effect, effettivamente una fonte non autorevolissima. Praticamente ci sarebbero solo tre testimonianze antiche su Mary amante di Francesco I: andando a ritroso, una fonte del 1659, un libro del famigerato Nicholas Sander del 1585, e poi una fonte del 1536. Si tratta di una lettera scritta da Rodolfo Pio vescovo di Faenza il 10 marzo:
    "Francis said also that they are committing more follies than ever in England, and are saying and printing all the ill they can against the Pope and the Church; that "that woman" pretended to have miscarried a son, not being really with child, and, to keep up the deceit, would allow no one to attend on her but her sister, whom the French king knew here in France 'per una grandissima ribalda et infame sopra tutte.'"
    Quindi si tratta di una lettera scritta da un vescovo cattolico, sicuramente poco imparziale sui Boleyn, e che in più contiene errori fattuali perché Anne aveva effettivamente abortito e ad assisterla non poteva esserci Mary perché era stata già allontanata dalla corte. Inoltre la Cranmer fa notare che Mary non è mai stata inclusa dai contemporanei tra le amanti di Francesco, che il suo soggiorno in Francia è durato solo sei mesi, e che diventare amante di un re era molto meno attraente per una giovane nubile figlia di un diplomatico che non per una donna sposata.

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE
    Inoltre la Cranmer fa notare che Mary non è mai stata inclusa dai contemporanei tra le amanti di Francesco, che il suo soggiorno in Francia è durato solo sei mesi, e che diventare amante di un re era molto meno attraente per una giovane nubile figlia di un diplomatico che non per una donna sposata

Esatto, una cosa molto frustrante su Mary è che quasi tutto quello che sappiamo di lei potrebbe benissimo essere falso!

Ho aperto yt e mi è comparso un documentario su Anne e Mary! C'è Tracy Borman tra gli altri.

11 replies since 15/7/2013, 05:48   236 views