Charlotte d'Albret

« Older   Newer »

Group
    slashers

Status

cUqQehc
    x

Ho deciso di aprire questo topic perchè... perchè se lo merita poverina, di solito non se ne parla mai, al contrario del marito. Bando alle ciancie e cominciamo

Charlotte d'Albret nasce nel 1480, stesso anno di Lucrezia, in Francia, figlia di Alain I d'Albret, e di Francesca di bretagna, viscontessa di Limoges. Tra l'altro sarà la sorella di Jean III di Navarra, il primo Albret sul trono di Navarra. I suoi nonni paterni erano Jean I d'Albert e Carlotta di Rohan. I suoi nonni materni erano Guglielmo di Blois, visconte di Limonges ed Isabella de la Tour d'Auverge (stesso titolo della madre di Caterina de'Medici) e Boulogne e Isabella de la Tour d'Auvergne, figlia di Bernanrdo V de la Tour, conte d'Auvergne e Boulogne e Giacomina du Peschin.
    Qui tralascio, altrimenti è troppo lungo.

Passa l'infanzia presso al corte francese di Carlo VIII.

Il 10 maggio 1499 sposa Cesare Borgia, che all'inizio era intenzionato a sposare Carlotta d'Aragona ma siccome questa non ci sta ripega sulla nostra Charlotte.

Charlotte è descritta come " bella e ricca ", due qualità che da sempre attraggono gli uomini. Si vocifera che la prima notte di nozze cesare abbian rotto otto lancie con lei, quindi quattro di più di Luigi XII che scrive a Rodrigo io ruppi quattro lanze con Anna di Bretagna. Un'altra voce insinua che per fare bella figura cesare abbia preso certe pillole, che però hanno avuto come unico effetto quello di fargli passare la priam notte di nozze al bagno :D

Nonostante tutto il 17 maggio 1500 nasce la loro unica figlia, Luisa Borgia, duchessa del Valentinois, che però non sarà l'unica figlia di Cesare, già padre di Gerolamo e di Camilla -Lucrezia.

cesare segue Luigi XII in Italia e non rivedrà più Charlotte, che nel 1504 ottiene le signorie di Feusines, Néret, e La Motte-Feuilly.

Dopo la morte di Cesare Charlotte si occupa del patrimonio di sua figlia, avendone ottenuto l'affidamento esclusivo, non disdegnando le opere pie. Muore l'11 marzo 1514 a La Motte-Feuilly e viene sepolta presso il convento dell'Annunziata a Bourges.

albret1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    l'unica imamgine decente che ho trovato di Charlotte

Edited by ‚dafne - 11/3/2017, 17:14

2. marie.

User deleted

Grazie Diana, non trovavo un testo pronto su di lei XD
    Mi incuriosisce perchè è un'altra delle tantissime di cui non si sa praticamente nulla. Certo una scultura può essere anche meglio di un ritratto, ma resta comunque un senso di *vuoto*.

Group
    slashers

Status
    io ho trovato solo quella, non c'è niente su di lei

4457379655e95858b4fd

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    questo è il sepolcro, e credo che non le immagini di lei abbiamo chiuso

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE
    She was seventeen years of age and said to be the most beautiful maid in France, and she had been reared at
    the honourable and pious Court of Jeanne de Valois, whence she had passed into that of Anne of Brittany,
    which latter, says Hilarion de Coste,(1) was "a school of virtue, an academy of honour."

CITAZIONE
    the Duke of Valentinois entered into the marriage very heartily, not only for the sake of its
    expediency, but for "the beauty of the lady, which was equalled by her virtues and the sweetness of her
    nature."

CITAZIONE
    This damsel of seventeen was said to be the loveliest in France, and there is more than a suggestion in
    Le Feron's De Gestis Regnum Gallorum, that Cesare was by no means
    indifferent to her charms. [...] His Italian splendour and flamboyance may well have
    dazzled a maid who had been reared amid the grey and something stern
    tones of the Court of Jeanne de Valois. And so it may well be that they loved, and that they were blessed in
    their love for the little space allotted them in each other's company.

Ora me li fanno shippare.

Edited by marie. - 5/5/2013, 19:55

5. marie.

User deleted

CESARE BORGIA; Far Better Than People Think, and to His Wife Especially
    Dice più o meno le stesse cose di Sabatini.
    C'è un passo di Vannucci tanto carino anche, poi lo ricopio.

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Che bell'articolo <3 ! Sinceramente non credevo che il New York Times si fosse mai interessato , lau sei stata veramente brava a trovarlo !

7. indian

User deleted

complimenti! spesso si confondono le due Carlotta/Charlotte...

[URL=http://http://diaryofboard.blog.tiscali.it
    ]http://diaryofboard.blog.tiscali.it
    [http://diaryofboard.blog.tiscali.it
    /URL]

8. marie.

User deleted

Con Carlotta d'Aragona dici? Facile cascarci =D

perchè non ti presenti? =D

CITAZIONE
    non credevo che il New York Times si fosse mai interessato

Chissà, forse quando uscì il libro di Sabatini o cose del genere... <3

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Charlotte è morta l'11 marzo 1514, RIP ;_;

Da Cesare Borgia di Sarah Bradford:

CITAZIONE
    Charlotte d’Albret remains a shadowy figure, and her relationship with her husband mysterious. At the news of his death she plunged herself into a rigid mourning to which she clung for the rest of her life. At the Château of La Motte Feuilly where she lived, the hangings and furniture in the yellow and crimson colours of the Duke of Valentinois were replaced with sombre black cloth, her bright gowns carefully put away in a chest. From then on she wore widow’s weeds and slept in a bed draped in black; even the trappings on her daughter’s Luisa’s pony were changed to the colour of mourning. When Cesare died she was only twenty-five, beautiful and an heiress, but she never remarried, nor did she return to court, but lived out her days in seclusion at La Motte Feuilly, occupying herself with the administration of her estates, charitable works, and occasional visits to her friend, the divorced Jeanne de France, in the Convent of the Annonciades at nearby Bourges. Charlotte was gentle, kindly and pious, her goodness was remarked on by more than one observer, and she was a careful administrator who took great interest in her estates and had an acquisitive eye for property (she later bought the lordship of Chalus for 17,000 crowns). But she seems to have been a narrow-minded woman; the few books she owned were all devotional works, and in her enshrinement of her husband’s memory it is possible to see more than a touch of obsessive neurosis.

She had never made any attempt to go to her husband, even when in the later years of their marriage she was free to do so. The Mantuan envoy to the French court, Jacopo d’Atri, reported that in July and early August 1503 repeated efforts were made to induce her to go to Italy and join her husband, but in vain. Cesare sent a messenger, Artese, to persuade her, and his efforts were strongly seconded by Louis, who at that moment was very much afraid that Cesare was inclining to Spain, and extremely anxious to accommodate him. Louis even threatened to deprive her of her honoured position as governess to his daughter by Anne, Madame Claude, and promised to send Cesare his daughter Luisa, but the envoy said that Charlotte ‘did not want to go to her husband’. She had been deeply shocked by the events at Sinigallia, wrote Francesco Gonzaga, and doubtless by many other reports of Cesare’s activities, including his abduction of Dorotea Caracciolo. And although at a distance she was prepared to do her dutiful best for her husband – in January 1504 the Venetian diarist Sanuto stated that she had come to court specifically to plead for Cesare’s release – she did not join him even when he was at her brother’s court at Pamplona. It would seem that she preferred the mythical memory of the handsome, dashing young husband she had known for those few summer months of 1499 to the harsh reality of the ruthless impious man whom all reports indicated him to be. Cesare’s disgrace after his father’s death no doubt made her position at the French court an embarrassing one, for some time in the autumn of 1503 she negotiated the purchase of the Château de la Motte Feuilly in Touraine, and moved there in 1504. Absorbed in her widowhood, she lived there in retirement until her death on 11 March 1514, aged thirty-two. The inscription on the stone above the place where her heart was buried in the chapel of La Motte Feuilly was perhaps the best expression of Charlotte’s short, unhappy life: ‘Here lies the heart of the most high and powerful lady Charlotte d’Albret, in her life the widow of the most high powerful prince Dom Cesar, Duke of Valentinois, Count of Diois, seigneur of Issoudun and of La Motte Feuilly …’

Edited by ‚dafne - 10/3/2015, 21:03

10. borgiahistorian

User deleted

One day before the death of her husband *le sigh*
    Though according to all the sources I've read, it was "6 lances" that Cesare broke on the wedding night

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE (borgiahistorian @ 11/3/2013, 17:07) 

Yes, it's so touching ;_;
    Oh, I don't recall the exact number of lances XD

Found this, it's from Sabatini's book:
    CITAZIONE
    The Duchess of Valentinois withdrew to La Motte- Feuilly, and for the seven years remaining of her life was never seen other than in mourning; her very house was equipped with sombre, funereal furniture, and so maintained until her end, which supports the view that she had conceived affection and respect for the husband of whom she had seen so little.

12. borgiahistorian

User deleted

QUOTE (‚dafne @ 11/3/2013, 17:09) 
    QUOTE (borgiahistorian @ 11/3/2013, 17:07) 

Yes, it's so touching ;_;
    Oh, I don't recall the exact number of lances XD

Found this, it's from Sabatini's book:
    The Duchess of Valentinois withdrew to La Motte- Feuilly, and for the seven years remaining of her life was never seen other than in mourning; her very house was equipped with sombre, funereal furniture, and so maintained until her end, which supports the view that she had conceived affection and respect for the husband of whom she had seen so little.

Mmhmm. She stayed in mourning til the day she died. and made their daughter stay in mourning too - t the etent on changing Luisa's horse to a black one O_o

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    Really? I didn't know about that! She must have really loved him. I wonder why she didn't reach him in Italy - I read somewhere Louis XII was sort of keeping her as an hostage, maybe?

14. borgiahistorian

User deleted

QUOTE (‚dafne @ 11/3/2013, 17:11) 
    Really? I didn't know about that! She must have really loved him. I wonder why she didn't reach him in Italy - I read somewhere Louis XII was sort of keeping her as an hostage, maybe?

It's all in Bradford's bio of Cesare. And other bio's. Louis wanted her in France because of hostage reasons, but he didn't try very hard to bring her to Italy tbh. They only knew each other for a few months...

Group
    pope

Status
    Anonymous
    CITAZIONE (borgiahistorian @ 11/3/2013, 17:13) 
    It's all in Bradford's bio of Cesare. And other bio's. Louis wanted her in France because of hostage reasons, but he didn't try very hard to bring her to Italy tbh. They only knew each other for a few months...

Wow I don't even recall things I read XD although as for Bradford's books, I only read the novel and Lucrezia's bio. Thanks for reminding me though <3
    And yes, I can picture that: she probably loved him way more than he loved her, if he ever did anyway. I like picturing him as being at least a bit in love though, since she was described as so lovely (and he broke so many lances :rolleyes: ) but I may be a little bit too romantic about this all! Cesare was such a womanizer it's very hard to think of him as stuck on his wife, or faithful to her (impossible XD)... It was more of a question of "I need my children-maker here with me", I guess XD

27 replies since 20/7/2011, 17:04   4539 views